If you didn’t watch the Oscars last night, you might have missed that The Muppets won for Original Song. And any Muppet lover knows that Jim Henson is also responsible for the characters of Sesame Street. In a, we’ll admit, slightly bizarre six-degrees-of-separation-kind-of-way, that explains why we’re doing Food News Round Up Sesame Street-style this week.
Thus, this smattering of food news is brought to you by the Letter “F” and the Number “5.”
1. Fix the Food System
- A report from Food & Water Watch claims that Walmart can’t fix the food system
- Learn 9 things you’ve never heard about America’s food from Tracie McMillan
- Please mark your calendars for Tracie McMillan’s Gastronomy Lecture, March 29 at 6 pm, SHA Auditorium and RSVP here.
2. Follow Food Politics and Economics
- Obama administration creating school vending guidelines
- Connecticut bill would require labeling of genetically modified foods
- As feed prices increase, thousands of chickens die on Central Valley egg farm
- Essay by politics professor, Aaron Bobrow-Stain, previews his book, White Bread
3. Figure out Fast Food
- Yum Brands CEO, David Novak, discusses U.S. fast food business abroad
- Sandelman study finds McDonald’s brand perception declines as sales soar
4. Focus on Cuisine
- NPR’s “the salt “considers English cuisine à la Downton Abbey
- Analysis of a 1947 Chiquita cookbook reveals banana politics
- Chef, Sara Jenkins, asks what is authentic Italian food and does it really matter?
- Fox News releases list of restaurants where mere mortals will never get a reservation
- “Wild girls of food” discuss gender inequality in the industry
5. Find Food Trends